Gluten Free Carrot Cake
I had a request for a gluten free carrot cake this week…so I had to do some research on that one…
I don’t typically bake with gluten free flours and I know there are lots of options but some of the ingredients are hard to find around here. It seems that there are more and more people who are gluten free these days and we often get requests in the café for gluten free options. Here’ the recipe I came up with.
Carrot Cake with Butter Cream Icing
3 cups of my GF Flour Mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
5 large eggs
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1 pound grated carrots
2/3 cup crushed, DRAINED, packed pineapple
2/3 cup packed, shredded coconut
Optional ingredients: add ½ cup toasted walnuts or ½ cup raisins or currants.
• Preheat oven to 325ºF. Position rack in the center of oven.
• Spray two 8″ round cake pans with cooking spray and place a parchment round in the bottom of each.
1. Place flour mix, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and almost fluffy, for 2 minutes. Add carrots, pineapple and coconut. Beat again, 1 minute
3. Slowly add flour mix into the carrot/oil mixture and beat at medium-low speed for one minute. Use a rubber spatula to make sure everything is evenly mixed together. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in the center of oven for approximately 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• Cool cake layers in the pans on a rack. Use a small knife to cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Invert cake layers onto a rack, peel off paper.
I used Butter Cream Icing to frost the cake. A Cream Cheese Icing works well, too.
Serve cake at room temperature.
Butter Cream Icing
½ cup Crisco solid shortening
½ cup butter
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
Beat Crisco and butter together in a medium sized bowl. Add extracts and mix in.
Gradually add sugar in while mixing. Spread onto cake.