Here are some options for those who need options that cater to health concerns:
Creamy Crab Bake by Mikie Dumire
*Prep Time: 15 minutes *Total Time: 20 minutes *Serves: 6
* 2 tablespoons margarine, canola-based, trans-fat free
* 3/4 cups green onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
* 1 tablespoons cornstarch
* 12 fluid ounces evaporated skim milk, canned
* 1/2 teaspoons mustard, any flavor
* 2 pounds crab ( I like to use real crab meat, but imitation works just fine)
* 3 ounces cheddar cheese, low-fat
* Preheat oven to 375°F.
* Wash and chop parsley and green onions.
* Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat, and sauté parsley and onions until tender.
* Whisk cornstarch with evaporated milk; stir in mustard. Slowly add to onion mixture, and stir until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat. Gently stir in crab (chopped).
* Pour in a 2-quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese (shredded), and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
* Serve with a tossed salad and crusty whole grain bread, if desired.
Seafood Stuffed Mushroom Caps by Mikie Dumire
*Prep Time: 20 minutes *Total Time: 25 minute *Serves: 8
*32 mushrooms (any type), large
*6 ounces cream cheese, fat-free
*1/2 cup cheese, Swiss, low-fat, shredded
*6 1/2 ounces crab, canned, drained
*2 tablespoons chives, fresh
*1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
* Preheat oven to 375°F.
*Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
*Place the mushroom caps hollow-side down on a baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes until slightly softened.
*Transfer to paper towels to drain. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or more. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, Swiss cheese, crabmeat, chives and garlic.
*Wash and dry the same baking sheet. Turn the mushroom caps hollow-side up and arrange on the baking sheet.
*Spoon the crab mixture in small mounds into the mushroom cavities.
*Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until slightly golden and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Old-Fashioned Baked Custard Diabetic Recipe by Mikie Dumire
3 large eggs, slightly beaten, or 3/4-cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups fat-free milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Slowly stir in milk and vanilla. Pour 1/2 cup custard into each of six 5-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Set filled custard cups in a shallow pan. Pour about 1 inch of hot water in the pan around custard cups. Bake on center rack of oven 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve hot, warm or chilled.
Recipe makes 3 cups. Normally I don’t bother with the custard cups, I just use a glass baking pan (6 servings).